In this class, we’ll use a variety of hands-on and multi sensory approaches to explore the intellectual and instinctual aspects of childbirth.
- We’ll examine what happens to the body and mind during labor and delivery.
- Understand the differences in cultural perceptions of pain.
- Learn mindfulness practices to help cope with the intensity of labor.
- Share multiple approaches to the birth experience.
Small class sizes allow us to tailor each class to the specific needs and interests of the participants.
- Birth wishes and intentions
- The physical, mental and emotional processes of labor and birth
- How labor works, what it looks like, what to do
- The role of hormones and birth physiology
- Evidence-based research and how to make decisions in awareness
The Childbirth Experience
- Assumptions about pain
- The role of Partners and Birth Companions
- Coping practices, positions and hands on support for labor
- How to cope with unexpected surprises
- Honoring Childbirth as a profound rite of passage and birth as a Heroic journey
- Healing after birth
- Newborn appearance and procedures
- Bonding with your baby
- Feeding your baby
- The postpartum return
Testimonials (Read More)
My husband and I are expecting our baby girl in May 2014 and took our birth prep course with Christine D’Esposito through Portland Doula love. We found Christine to be a really calming, soothing, and reassuring presence. She made the class feel very communal and comforting, while also packing in a lot of great information.
My husband and I were anxious about taking such an intimate and personal experience as the Birthing from Within class online. But Christine was a masterful facilitator and made it valuable and enjoyable even in the online setting. We appreciated the mix of very practical information with coping practice and self-reflection. I was also worried […]